Online Marriage & Family Therapy Graduate Degree Program
The state of the family is changing as society continues to evolve in the 21st century. Marriage and family therapists are driven to understand the unique relationship dynamics existing between families and society to form holistic patient treatment plans that pay close attention to the dynamics of the family system.
What makes us different?
- 100% online
- No GRE required
- Accelerated admissions process
- Affordable tuition
- No residency
The marriage and family therapy (MFT) profession has gained ground in recent years with the increased recognition and understanding of the relationship between marital and family dysfunction and serious mental and emotional disorders such as chemical dependency, substance abuse, eating disorders, disorders of childhood and adolescence and other forms of psychopathology.
Marriage and family therapy differs from other mental health professions because of its focus on the following:
- Treating couples and families and the family as a system.
- Present day problems instead of historical or intra-psychic conflicts.
- Understanding interpersonal relationships as a way of identifying and treating mental health problems.
Touro University Worldwide’s (TUW) online Marriage & Family Therapy graduate degree program helps you meet the demands of a new health care market influenced by the Health Care Reform Act, which has created a push for using health care teams when treating patients. Marriage and family therapists are valuable members of these teams and deliver holistic treatment plans that focus on family relationships and dynamics. Graduates can work in mental health agencies, government agencies or in their own private practice.
TUW’s fully online marriage and family therapy graduate degree program delivers a course of study focused on this mental health sector and prepares graduates to function in this critical discipline to foster the well-being of couples and families. The program offers multiple tracks, so you can choose the option that best fits your chosen career path.
|MFT Degree Track||Core Courses||Practicum Courses||Face-to-Face Clinical Hours||Practicum Hours|
|Non-Clinical||18 courses / 54 credits||None||None||None|
|Clinical||20 courses / 60 credits||2 courses / 6 credits||225 hours||300 hours|
|Licensed Professional Clinical Counseling (LPCC)||25 courses / 73 credits||3 courses / 9 credits||280 hours||450 hours|
The online Marriage & Family Therapy graduate degree program at Touro University Worldwide is approved by the California Board of Behavior Sciences (BBS), and is designed so that graduates are eligible for MFT Licensure in the State of California (and most other states) without requiring any additional coursework.
*Disclaimer: Enrollment in the online Marriage & Family Therapy graduate degree program does not guarantee a degree from Touro University Worldwide or qualification for professional licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements is outlined in the university catalog. Students enrolled in the MFT counseling licensure program are responsible for knowing the information from TUW. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state board of marriage and family therapy.Request Info >>
Forms and Practicum Information
- MFT Student Handbook (2017-2018)
- Agency Application Form
- Letter of Introduction
- Trainee Evaluation
- Memorandum of Agreement
- Supervisor Responsibility Statement
- Weekly Hours of Experience
Publications and Policies
- MFT Student Handbook (2018-2019)
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Codes of conduct
- Faculty Demographics
- Faculty Roles
- Graduation and Student Achievement Data
- Portability of Degree
- Retention Policy
- Student Demographics
- Technical Training
- Technology Requirements
TUW’s tuition is $500 per semester credit unit. A range of tuition assistance programs are available to prospective students to help reduce the out-of-pocket expenses associated with continued education, including scholarships and students loans. Many employers offer tuition assistance programs, so speak with your human resource representative to find out if additional financial support is available to you. Touro University Worldwide tuition assistance counselors are available to determine your eligibility for financial aid and other tuition assistance programs.APPLY NOW
Students must complete 18 courses totaling 54 credit hours. For those in the Clinical track, two additional clinical practicum courses are required for a total of 60 semester credits, along with 225 clinical hours and 300 practicum hours. For those in the LPCC track, three additional clinical practicum courses and four additional core courses are required for a total of 73 semester credits, along with 280 clinical hours and 450 practicum hours.
There are six terms per academic year, each comprising eight weeks. Curriculum consists of courses that provide a quality master’s degree in marriage and family therapy and qualifies students to apply for licensure as a marriage and family therapist.
Students seeking to attend in TUW must meet one of the following criteria to be considered for admission:
- Have earned a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Transfer student from another college/university’s graduate program in good academic standing (minimum GPA of 2.75).
Students, who meet one of the above criteria, will be required to complete the following steps in order to be admitted and enrolled:
- Submit an application to the University.
- As a non-profit organization committed to serving the underserved, Touro University Worldwide has waived the $60 application fee for all prospective students.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended. Transcripts must come directly from the issuing institutions. Students who completed college coursework outside the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated. (See Foreign Credit for additional information.) Students are required to complete step 3 by the end of their first term of enrollment.
As a non-profit institution committed to serving the underserved, Touro University Worldwide has waived the $60 application fee for all prospective students.
Admission and Licensure
The 60-credit Marriage and Family Therapy degree is designed to lead to professional licensure as outlined by individual state boards of counseling. The 73-credit MFT degree with a track in Licensed Professional Clinical Counseling is designed to lead to LPCC licensure in addition to MFT licensure as outlined by individual state boards of counseling.
Before enrolling in a licensure program at Touro University Worldwide, students should consult the rules and regulations regarding Marriage and Family Therapy for their particular state. More specifically, students should be aware of the following before enrolling in one of TUW’s MFT programs:
- State regulations regarding licensure opportunities if an applicant has a previous felony conviction.
- State regulations regarding the type and number of academic courses as well as practicum and internship hours.
- The state accreditation requirements for educational institutions.
- The state regulations and requirements for online graduate education programs.
The TUW MFT program is approved by the State of California Board of Behavior Sciences (BBS).
Note: It is the Policy of TUW that students cannot be accepted as student at large or non-degree seeking student to any of the Clinical programs at TUW including the MFT program, in any phase of the program. Students will not be accepted to the Practicum courses only.
Prospective students should speak with an advisor and refer to the university catalog for additional details before entering the program.