A bursar (derived from “bursa”, Latin for purse) is a senior professional financial administrator in a school or university. In the U.S., bursars usually only serve in higher education. In Australia, Great Britain and other countries, bursars are common at lower levels of education.
The Office of the Bursar is responsible for billing student tuition accounts. This responsibility involves sending invoices and developing payment plans for students. The ultimate goal is to bring all student accounts to a “paid off” status. Bursars are not necessarily involved in the financial aid process.
Bursars’ duties vary from one institution to another. At many institutions, bursars deal only with student finances. At other institutions, bursars also deal with some faculty finance issues. Elsewhere, they oversee accounts receivable or the payments that the university receives from outside organizations for which it performs services. In some institutions, all money held by the institution is the bursar’s responsibility.
- Answers student account inquiries.
- Collects both current and past due payments.
- Billing students’ tuition accounts: Tuition charges, late fees, transcripts fees, drop fees and graduation fees.
- Posting payments daily: Web payment, checks and credit cards.
- Sends out payment reminders.
- Email notices and billing statements.
- Processes refunds.
- Provides clearance for processes such as:
- Class registration
- Transcript and diploma release
- Leave of absence
Questions and Answers
- Before Week 1 – receives 100 percent tuition refund
- During Week 1 – receives 75 percent tuition refund
- During Week 2 – receives 50 percent tuition refund
- After Week 2 – no refund
Director of Bursar
Direct: (818) 874-4107
Fax: (818) 688-3244
All financial aid inquiries must be directed to:
Financial Aid office
Visit our financial aid page for more information.
- College Tuition and Fees
- Technical Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Degree Completion Program
- Associate Degree Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree Admission Requirements
- Master’s Degree Admission Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Work Degree Admission Requirements
- Doctorate Degree Admission Requirements
- International Student Admission Requirements
- Non-Degree Seeking Admission Requirements
- Transfer Students
- Transfer Partnerships
- Business analytics is an essential element for ...
- Healthcare administration is essential to provi...
- A Bachelor of Business Administration with an a...