Doctorate Degree Admission Requirements
Students seeking to enroll in Touro University Worldwide’s Doctorate programs must meet the following criteria to be considered for admission:
- Have earned a Master’s degree from an accredited institution. If the degree was awarded oversees, it must be from an institution that is approved by the Ministry of Education.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.4 in the accredited Master’s Program
Students, who meet the above criteria, will be required to complete the following steps in order to be admitted and enrolled at TUW:
- Submit an application to the University. (Click here to apply)
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended. Transcripts must come directly from the issuing institutions. Students who completed college coursework outside the United States must have their transcripts translated and evaluated. (See Foreign Credit for additional information.)
- Submit two letters of recommendation: one from someone familiar with the prospective student’s academic work; and a professional reference from someone who has supervised the prospective student in a work environment (preferably the current supervisor, excluding family members ).
- Submit a Doctoral Entrance Essay:
The entrance essay is an essential part of the Doctoral Program and serves as the initial component of the student’s research portfolio.
The entrance essay takes the form of a narrative presenting candidates’
- (a) biography,
- (b) career plan, and
- (c) goals in pursuing the doctorate at Touro University Worldwide.
The Doctoral Admissions Committee will evaluate the essay. Committee members seek evidence regarding critical qualities and abilities including:
- Motivation, maturity of judgment, and creativity;
- Evidence of a sound personal agenda that includes achievable personal and professional objectives;
- Awareness of intellectual strengths as well as skills needing development;
- Awareness of program requirements
- Proficiency with standard written English including the ability to express concepts and communicate meaning in concise writing
The Doctoral Entrance Essay components should include the following:
- Biographical Component
Earlier learning experiences, both formal and informal, should be described. Characterize in terms of the nature and general outcome prior study, related work experience, and participation in scholarly research (if any).
- Career Plan Component
Explain how a doctoral-level education fits with stated career plan and goals. How will doctoral study, in conjunction with background and interests, further those goals?
- Goals in Pursuing the Doctorate
Briefly discuss why the reasons for enrolling in doctoral study at Touro University Worldwide, including but not limited to:
- The reasons for selecting the TUW program rather than another doctoral program;
- The particular goals anticipated to be attained through completion of the doctoral curriculum;
Proposed topics being considered for the dissertation or research program/exegesis paper project.
TUW will transfer up to six semester credits at the doctoral level from accredited institutions provided the transferred credits meet the same general content standards as the University course.
Students must provide their official transcripts by the end of their second session of enrollment. (16 weeks)
Students with conditional admission may register for one session (8 weeks) only with maximum of 2 courses and raise their GPA (2.3 GPA for Undergraduate Students, 3.0 GPA for Graduate Students, and a GPA 3.3 for Doctoral students). No future registration is permitted if the condition is not removed. (You may or may not be eligible for Federal Financial Aid depending on the number of credits attempted while having conditional admission status.
- College Tuition and Fees
- Technical Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Associate Degree Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree Admission Requirements
- Master’s Degree Admission Requirements
- Doctorate Degree Admission Requirements
- International Student Admission Requirements
- Non-Degree Seeking Admission Requirements
- Transfer Students
- Transfer Partnerships