The Economic Impact of Living Green
Touro University Worldwide Takes a Look at How Living Greener Can Save Money and the Planet
Touro University Worldwide (TUW) recently announced the establishment of its newest program, a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Management (BSBA). In honor of this announcement and with International Earth Day coming in April, we thought it was only fitting to discuss a topic that’s on everyone’s mind: how “living green” can impact your finances. Below are some suggestions that we put together on how you can reduce your carbon footprint and credit card bills.
- Turning down the Amount on Your Electricity Bills: With tuition fees and household bills, most online students are looking to save money any way they can. Something as simple as unplugging your appliances when you leave your residence can save cash. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the average U.S. household spends about $1,900 a year on energy costs and 5% to 10% of this residential electricity comes from devices that are plugged in 24 hours a day.
- Recycling to Start Your Cash Flow Cycle: Recycling can be tough. We’ve all been tempted to throw our glass bottle in the trash bag when the blue recycle bin is only ten steps further. But trust us; the ten extra steps are worth it. There are many places where you can participate in “pay-as-you-throw” programs which will give you money back for each bottle. Some charities also accept bottles as donations which is a great way to give back to your community. If that isn’t motivation enough, recycling also has a huge impact on our economy. According to Recycling Revolution, “recycling creates 1.1 million U.S. jobs, $236 billion in gross annual sales and $37 billion in annual payrolls.”
- Washing Away Your Laundry Bills: Laundry can be expensive, especially if you live in a an apartment where you are paying for each individual wash and dry. By washing your clothes with cold water, you are saving money and the earth. According to World Watch Institute, “as much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water.” Hanging your clothes to dry will also save money and energy.
- Burning Away Calories and Car Bills: One of the great advantages of an online university is that you are saving money on travel cost, which in turn reduces carbon monoxide emissions. World Watch Institute recommends that you bike or walk to a place of study or work whenever possible. This is a great way to get your exercise, reduce car-costs even more, and save the planet. Several studies have shown that exercise also improves your ability to study and retain information, which is important for your college career.
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration & Management degree provides students an opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree while advancing their career in the most efficient way. So this month, take the initiative to kick start your education and live greener!
Interested students should visit http://www.tuw.edu/ or call 888-586-5193 to learn how they can apply today.
About Touro University Worldwide:
Touro University Worldwide is a non-profit organization established by philanthropic visionaries who are committed to developing a passionate, connected learning community that can help students achieve their individual academic goals. Students at Touro University Worldwide are committed to social justice, intellectual pursuit, and professional development. This philosophy is derived from the Judaic foundation on which the University was originally founded and a value system that welcomes all cultures and backgrounds.
About the Touro College and University System
Touro is a system of non-profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American and global community. Approximately 19,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, Paris and Florida. Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus, as well as Touro University Worldwide and New York Medical College are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: https://www.touro.edu/media/.
- Students have three BSHS degree track options a...
- A Doctor in Business Administration degree prep...
- Health education plays an important role in qua...
- The range of Touro University Worldwide Scholar...
- What are the fastest-growing jobs in healthcare...