Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
A basic description of psychology is that it involves the study and research of human behavior and mental processes. Many universities offer a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Both degrees aim to equip students with skills in research methods and a basic knowledge of areas of psychology, which can include developmental psychology, experimental psychology, social psychology and abnormal psychology.
There is one main distinction between a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in the same subject. The Bachelor of Science degree requirements focus on the major courses in psychology as well as math and science.
The choice between a B.A. and B.S. can center on academic and career goals. A student who earns a Bachelor of Science in Psychology is prepared for graduate studies in psychology or other social sciences. Students who are following an educational path toward medicine or health care may want to consider pursuing a Bachelor of Science because of its emphasis on math and science. Specifically, students who are interested in the following career opportunities should consider pursuing a Bachelor of Science:
• sports psychology
• public health
A Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, on the other hand, prepares students for careers in social work, counseling psychology, industrial and organizational psychology, social psychology and more. A Bachelor of Arts focuses more on the liberal arts, which includes languages, humanities and other social sciences. B.A. in Psychology programs focus more on the social influences of human behavior and psychological function.
Both degrees prepare students for many opportunities after graduation. Academically, they have equal value. The ultimate value of one program over another is up to students pursuing psychology as a career and their goals.
- What You’ll Earn: Salaries in Health and Human Services
- Things to Consider When You Are Getting An MBA
- Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
- Interested in Becoming a Psychologist?
- 5 Career Paths for Public Health Degree Graduates
- Five Traits of a Good Leader
- Healthcare Administration Careers
- What is Dispute Resolution
- Health Science Careers
- The Role of Industrial and Organizational Psychology in the Workplace
- A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Administrator
- What is the Role of an Organizational Psychologist?
- How to Become a Healthcare Administrator
- How Do I Become a Marriage and Family Therapist?
- A Day in the Life of a Social Worker
- Jobs in Psychology
- Career Profile: Nursing Home Administrator
- Defining Conflict Management
- Social Work Code of Ethics
- What Can I Do with a Health Sciences Degree
- Unique Social Work Careers
- Career Profile: Health Educator
- Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
- Are You Well-Suited for a Career in Human Services?
- Should I Get a Doctoral Degree?
- Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Options for Associate Degree Graduates
- What Degree Should I Get?
- Liberal Studies vs General Studies
- Human Resource Management Degree
- Steps to Becoming a Psychologist
- What Does An Educational Psychologist Do?
- 5 Types of Therapists
- General Studies Degree Career Possiblities
- 4 Types of Therapy for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Top 4 Careers in Public Health
- Careers in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
- Top 5 Jobs: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- What Is A Human Resources Manager?
- Tackling Nonprofit Fundraising
- A Day in the Life of a Financial Analyst
- 5 Ways to Define Good Communication
- How Do I Become an Accountant?
- Fortune 500 Companies in California
- Communication Skills in the Workplace
- 5 Qualities of a Good Manager
- MBA Specializations
- How to Become a Family Therapist
- What Can You Do With an MBA?
- What is a Human Resource Manager
- What Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
- Is Earning an MBA Worth the Effort?
- What is business analytics? It is the skill of ...
- An online healthcare administration degree from...
- Wondering how to transfer an associate degree t...