Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
A licensed marriage and family therapist can expect to earn a median annual salary of $46,670. That said, it might take a few years of experience to get to that level. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the lowest 10 percent of salaries for marriage and family therapists are less than $25,500. However, the top 10 percent of therapists report an annual salary of more than $75,000.
What are the top employment industries for marriage and family therapists?
According to the BLS, the highest earners work for the federal government, private practices, outpatient care centers, individual and family centers, and nursing and residential care facilities.
The job outlook for marriage and family therapists is extremely bright. Employment of MFTs is expected to rise 29 percent by 2022; this is much higher than the average for all occupations.
Because more and more insurance companies are covering mental health counseling, people who have needed services in the past but couldn’t afford counseling or whose health insurance did not cover mental health services are finally able to seek help. Another reason for the job growth is the increasing number of military members and veterans who need counseling. It will be necessary for facilities that employ counselors to increase their staff to meet the increased demand quickly and effectively.
Job opportunities will be best for licensed marriage and family therapists who seek employment in areas that have typically been underserved by mental health providers. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, there are currently 4,000 mental health professional shortage areas (HPSAs) in the United States. These areas have only one mental health provider per 30,000 people.
To learn how to become a Marriage and Family Therapist check out this article.
- What You’ll Earn: Salaries in Health and Human Services
- Things to Consider When You Are Getting An MBA
- Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
- Interested in Becoming a Psychologist?
- 5 Career Paths for Public Health Degree Graduates
- Five Traits of a Good Leader
- Healthcare Administration Careers
- What is Dispute Resolution
- Bachelor of Science Job Opportunities
- The Role of Industrial and Organizational Psychology in the Workplace
- A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Administrator
- What is the Role of an Organizational Psychologist?
- How to Become a Healthcare Administrator
- How Do I Become a Marriage and Family Therapist?
- A Day in the Life of a Social Worker
- Jobs in Psychology
- Career Profile: Nursing Home Administrator
- Defining Conflict Management
- Social Work Code of Ethics
- What Can I Do with a Health Sciences Degree
- Unique Social Work Careers
- Career Profile: Health Educator
- Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
- Are You Well-Suited for a Career in Human Services?
- Should I Get a Doctoral Degree?
- Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Options for Associate Degree Graduates
- What Degree Should I Get?
- Liberal Studies vs General Studies
- Human Resource Management Degree
- Steps to Becoming a Psychologist
- What Does An Educational Psychologist Do?
- 5 Types of Therapists
- General Studies Degree Career Possiblities
- 4 Types of Therapy for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Top 4 Careers in Public Health
- Careers in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
- Top 5 Jobs: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- What Is A Human Resources Manager?
- Tackling Nonprofit Fundraising
- A Day in the Life of a Financial Analyst
- 5 Ways to Define Good Communication
- How Do I Become an Accountant?
- Fortune 500 Companies in California
- Communication Skills in the Workplace
- 5 Qualities of a Good Manager
- MBA Specializations
- How to Become a Family Therapist
- What Can You Do With an MBA?
- What is a Human Resource Manager
- What Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
- Is Earning an MBA Worth the Effort?
- An academic advisor is an important component o...
- Do you need a degree to start a business? No. B...
- An AA in General Studies leads to higher-paying...