Fortune 500 Companies in California
There are 53 Fortune 500 companies in the state of California, which ranks third in the nation for the most Fortune 500 companies. Only New York and Texas beat out California. There are 15 companies based in the Los Angeles metropolitan area alone.
Some of the more well-known companies headquartered in California include Google, Mattel, Wells Fargo, Disney and Gap. Many of the companies listed on the Fortune 500 from California are either in the technology or entertainment industries. Internet-related companies like Facebook and Netflix are housed in California, as well as a smattering of cloud-based software companies like Salesforce.
Though California is known for welcoming innovative tech companies, the state is also home to traditional companies like Chevron and Clorox. We highlight five Fortune 500 companies based in California below.
Apple is probably one of the most famous companies in the world and has always called California home. Apple has been fifth on the Fortune 500 list for two years. From consumer products like iPhones, iPads and iPods to computer software like iTunes and Internet services, Apple products are ubiquitous. Since Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne started Apple in a garage in Los Altos, California, the company has had many ups and downs. But even in the post-Steve Jobs era, Apple continues to make products that people like and want.
A-Mark Precious Metals
A-Mark Precious Metals was founded in 1965 and has blossomed into a full-service precious metals trading company out of Santa Monica, California. According to the company’s website, A-Mark is the largest precious metals dealer in the United States. A-Mark ranks 444th on the Fortune 500 list.
eBay is a multinational corporation and e-commerce company that makes its main home in San Jose, California. eBay ranks at 172 on the Fortune 500 list, a jump from 180 the previous year. The website makes money through fees charged to sellers of goods, as well as through the eBay subsidiary PayPal.
Live Nation Entertainment
Live Nation in Beverly Hills rose to 392 on the Fortune 500 list from 404 the previous year. The company, which was founded in 2005, originally promoted live events. Now, it also behaves like a record label and has signed temporary contracts with huge international stars like Shakira, Nickleback, U2 and Madonna. In 2010, Live Nation merged with Ticketmaster to form Live Nation Entertainment.
You can find Ross Stores, often called Ross Dress for Less, in 33 states. However, California is the original home of this discount retail clothing chain. The first store opened in 1950 in Pacifica, California, and the company currently calls Dublin home. TJ Maxx and Marshalls, which are owned by the same parent company, are bigger when combined, but Ross remains the largest clothing retail store of its kind in the United States. Ross climbed to 269 from 277 on the Fortune 500 list.
- What You’ll Earn: Salaries in Health and Human Services
- Things to Consider When You Are Getting An MBA
- Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
- Interested in Becoming a Psychologist?
- 5 Career Paths for Public Health Degree Graduates
- Five Traits of a Good Leader
- Healthcare Administration Careers
- What is Dispute Resolution
- Health Science Careers
- The Role of Industrial and Organizational Psychology in the Workplace
- A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Administrator
- What is the Role of an Organizational Psychologist?
- How to Become a Healthcare Administrator
- How to Become a Marriage and Family Therapist?
- A Day in the Life of a Social Worker
- Jobs in Psychology
- How to Become a Nursing Home Administrator
- Defining Conflict Management
- Social Work Code of Ethics
- What Can I Do with a Health Sciences Degree
- Unique Social Work Careers
- Career Profile: Health Educator
- Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
- Career in Human Services
- Should I Get a Doctoral Degree?
- Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Options for Associate Degree Graduates
- What Degree Should I Get?
- Liberal Studies vs General Studies
- Human Resource Management Degree
- Steps to Becoming a Psychologist
- What Does An Educational Psychologist Do?
- 5 Types of Therapists
- General Studies Degree Career Possiblities
- 4 Types of Therapy for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Top 4 Careers in Public Health
- Careers in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
- Top 5 Jobs: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- What Is A Human Resources Manager?
- Tackling Nonprofit Fundraising
- A Day in the Life of a Financial Analyst
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills
- How Do I Become an Accountant?
- Fortune 500 Companies in California
- Communication Skills in the Workplace
- 5 Qualities That Can Improve Your Management Skills
- MBA Specializations
- How to Become a Family Therapist
- What Can You Do With an MBA?
- What is a Human Resource Manager
- What Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
- Is Earning an MBA Worth the Effort?
- Community outreach is an important component in...
- Health psychology is a subset of mental health ...
- Finding the best online universities is a strai...