Leave of Absence-LOA

Leave of Absence request formA matriculated student enrolled at Touro University Worldwide who chooses to interrupt his/her attendance but intends to return and continue his/her study at Touro must submit to the Office of the Registrar a completed “Leave of Absence” request form signed by all parties noted on the form. Normally, a leave of absence should be requested before the start of the first semester in which the student plans not to attend. However, if extenuating circumstances arise, a student may request a leave of absence mid-semester. These circumstances include, but are not limited to, a death in the family, medical reasons, and personal well-being.

What happens when you take a Leave of Absence  

A student whose leave of absence is approved, and who is registered for courses at the point of approval, is automatically withdrawn from all courses. Tuition will be refunded in accordance with Touro’s published refund policy.

If the student is a recipient of Title IV financial aid funds, the leave of absence, together with any additional leaves or absences, must not exceed a total of 180 calendar days in any 12-month period. This 12-month period begins with the first day of the first leave of absence. PLEASE NOTE: This regulation may impact students who wish to take leaves of absence extending beyond one semester. Therefore, students receiving Title IV financial aid funds should meet with a Financial Aid officer to discuss their situation before filing a “Leave of Absence” request form.

A student on an approved leave of absence will retain “in-school” (but not enrolled) status for reporting purposes.

A student returning from a leave of absence should contact the Registrar’s Office at least one month prior to the first day of the term/semester in which he/she intends to resume attendance.

Each student requesting LOA must be registered for the following session after the LOA.

Note for MFT students: Students taking Leave of Absence are not considered active enrolled students. MFT students acquiring the clinical practicum hours must register for Clinical Practicum or Clinical Practicum Continuation. Student must stay in active status with the University to ensure the practicum is covered by the University insurance and the practicum hours are officially recorded.