What Degree Should I Get?
It’s a common lament among people considering a college education: “I don’t know what major to choose.” Admissions counselors tell worried students that any college degree is, of course, preferable to no college degree at all. That’s certainly true. The best solution for students who are unsure of a major is to go the general studies route.
Students who earn a degree in general studies have endless options when it comes to what fields they can pursue after graduation. Common areas include:
• Nonprofits and human services
• Sports and recreation
• Government or law enforcement
Many employers with open positions that don’t require specific skill sets seek out those with general studies degrees; these candidates are well-prepared, as they’ve gained a solid knowledge base, developed written and verbal communication skills, learned good judgment and can solve problems using their critical thinking and analytical thinking skills.
A degree in general studies is often cited as the most personally rewarding degree program available to students. Because its focus is so broad, students are able to remain interested in their coursework throughout the duration of their education. They study their favorite subjects, as well as those that are completely foreign to them. This broad focus often sparks inspiration in students — inspiration that calls them to go on to earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees in areas they’re most passionate about.
The multi-disciplinary approach of a general studies degree and the opportunity students have to carefully select coursework based on their individual interests and career goals make this option an excellent way to prepare for graduate school.
Ready To Get Started?
- What You’ll Earn: Salaries in Health and Human Services
- Things to Consider When You Are Getting An MBA
- Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
- Interested in Becoming a Psychologist?
- 5 Career Paths for Public Health Degree Graduates
- Five Traits of a Good Leader
- Health Care Administration Careers
- What is Dispute Resolution
- Post-graduation options: Where can I work with a bachelor of science in health sciences and health care administration?
- The Role of Industrial and Organizational Psychology in the Workplace
- A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Administrator
- What is the Role of an Organizational Psychologist?
- Steps to Becoming a Healthcare Administrator
- How Do I Become a Marriage and Family Therapist?
- A Day in the Life of a Social Worker
- Jobs in Psychology
- Career Profile: Nursing Home Administrator
- Defining Conflict Management
- Social Work Code of Ethics
- What Can I Do with a Health Sciences Degree
- Unique Social Work Careers
- Career Profile: Health Educator
- Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
- Are You Well-Suited for a Career in Human Services?
- Should I Get a Doctoral Degree?
- Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Options for Associate Degree Graduates
- What Degree Should I Get?
- Liberal Studies vs General Studies
- Human Resource Management Degree
- Steps to Becoming a Psychologist
- What Does An Educational Psychologist Do?
- 5 Types of Therapists
- General Studies Degree Career Possiblities
- 4 Types of Therapy for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Top 4 Careers in Public Health
- Careers in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
- Top 5 Jobs: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- What Is A Human Resources Manager?
- Tackling Nonprofit Fundraising
- A Day in the Life of a Financial Analyst
- 5 Ways to Define Good Communication
- How Do I Become an Accountant?
- Fortune 500 Companies in California
- Communication Skills in the Workplace
- 5 Qualities of a Good Manager
- MBA Specializations
- How to Become a Family Therapist
- Degree Profile: What Can You Do With an MBA?
- What is a Human Resource Manager
- What Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
- Is Earning an MBA Worth the Effort?
- Transferring college credits is somethin...
- Why choose the Doctor of Management, Doctor of ...
- Healthcare is the fastest growing industry in t...