Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
Many students starting college don’t have a clear idea of what major to choose. If that’s the case, some students find that going the general studies route is the best solution.
The major advantage of a general studies program is that it offers students the opportunity to explore their interests while simultaneously preparing them for a wide variety of careers. Students who earn a degree in general studies have numerous career options. Common areas include:
- Non-profit and human services
- Government or law enforcement
The general studies program is valuable because it helps students develop stronger communication skills, increase literacy and math skills, bolster critical thinking and gain a broader base of knowledge in a number of interesting subjects. Some examples include biology, cultural studies, philosophy, social sciences, public speaking and more. The general studies curriculum provides a common educational experience for students as well.
General studies is often cited as the most personally rewarding degree program available to students. Because its focus is broad, students are able to remain engaged in their coursework. They study their favorite subjects as well as those that are completely new to them. This broad focus oftentimes sparks inspiration in students, which leads them to continuing in the bachelor’s degree program of their choice.
A general studies degree serves as an stepping-stone and prerequisite toward further education at the undergraduate and graduate level. The multidisciplinary approach of the general studies program, coupled with the opportunity students have to carefully select coursework based on their individual interests and career goals, makes this option an excellent way to prepare students for further study.
Earning a general studies degree allows students the opportunity to advance their career while completing coursework at their own pace. Students who earn this degree should list the specific skills they learned in their courses on their resume. Students who can demonstrate the ways in which they took full advantage of their university education will have a leg up over their competitors in the job market.
- What You’ll Earn: Salaries in Health and Human Services
- Things to Consider When You Are Getting An MBA
- Psychology: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science?
- Interested in Becoming a Psychologist?
- 5 Career Paths for Public Health Degree Graduates
- Five Traits of a Good Leader
- Healthcare Administration Careers
- What is Dispute Resolution
- Health Science Careers
- The Role of Industrial and Organizational Psychology in the Workplace
- A Day in the Life of a Healthcare Administrator
- What is the Role of an Organizational Psychologist?
- How to Become a Healthcare Administrator
- How to Become a Marriage and Family Therapist?
- A Day in the Life of a Social Worker
- Jobs in Psychology
- How to Become a Nursing Home Administrator
- Defining Conflict Management
- Social Work Code of Ethics
- What Can I Do with a Health Sciences Degree
- Unique Social Work Careers
- Marriage and Family Therapists: Salary Potential and Career Growth
- Career in Human Services
- Should I Get a Doctoral Degree?
- Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
- Options for Associate Degree Graduates
- What Degree Should I Get?
- Liberal Studies vs General Studies
- Human Resource Management Degree
- Steps to Becoming a Psychologist
- What Does An Educational Psychologist Do?
- 5 Types of Therapists
- General Studies Degree Career Possiblities
- 4 Types of Therapy for Mental Health and Well-Being
- Top 4 Careers in Public Health
- Careers in Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Is A General Studies Degree Worth It?
- Top 5 Jobs: Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- What Is A Human Resources Manager?
- Tackling Nonprofit Fundraising
- A Day in the Life of a Financial Analyst
- 5 Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills
- How Do I Become an Accountant?
- Fortune 500 Companies in California
- Communication Skills in the Workplace
- 5 Qualities That Can Improve Your Management Skills
- MBA Specializations
- How to Become a Family Therapist
- What Can You Do With an MBA?
- What is a Human Resource Manager
- What Do I Need to Become a Psychologist?
- Is Earning an MBA Worth the Effort?